Lęborek’s past is closely connected with the history of Gdańsk Pomerania and Western Pomerania, with the history of Poland and Germany. There are hypotheses that in the early Middle Ages a pre-location settlement was established in the prado valley of the Łeba River, which was the beginning of the city. It was called Lewino and belonged to the princes of Gdańsk Pomerania. According to the record of the Pomeranian chronicler Restorf, Lębork acquired the city rights as early as 1285 at the hands of the Duke of Gdańsk Vengege. Better documented historically, however, is the fact of the location of the city in 1341 by the grand master of the Teutonic Order, Dietrich von Altenburg. One of the first decisions of the Teutonic Crosses was the construction of a castle, a church and defensive walls with towers around the city.
In the years 1310-1454 Lębork belonged to the Teutonic State. After the beginning of the thirteen-year war, King Kazimierz Jagiellonian emacased the city together with the whole of Gdańsk Pomerania to Poland. In 1455, the city was transferred under the conditions of the so-called . “faithful hand” to The Pomeranian Prince Eric II.
In 1490, Lębork passed into the hands of the Pomeranian Prince Bogusław X, as a dowry of his wife, daughter of King Casimir Jagiellon. This condition lasted until 1637, when after the death of Prince Bogusław XIV Lębork he joined Poland.
Only 20 years the city belonged to Poland, because already in 1657 King Jan Kazimierz, on the basis of the Welawsko-Bydgoszcz Treaties, gave it to Frederick Wilhelm I, elector of Brandenburg.
In 1773, under the partition treaty, Lębork was edified in Western Prussia and found itself in the province of Pommern.
Under the Treaty of Versailles, the land was granted to Germany.
The result of World War II decided to return in 1945 Lęborka to Poland.
Tourist Information Point of the Local Tourist Organization “Lęborska Land – Łeba”,
ul. Dworcowa 8a (railway station building), tel. 601 825 206, e-mail: [email protected]
Lębork is located on the tourist and pilgrimage route – Pomeranian Way of St. Jacob. It is worth seeing:
- Old Town Street in the center of the former Lębork with stylish bourgeois tenement houses from the turn of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries – a business card and a favorite place for walks and meetings of lęborczans and tourists;
- medieval urban icing with bastions – under the EU-funded revaluation programme in 2009-2010 they regained their former splendor and became an important tourist attraction of Lęborka;
- Sanctuary of St. John James Ap. from the 14th/15th centuries with the relics of St. Of James the Apostle;
- Gothic Teutonic Castle with castle mill and granary (from the 16th century).
The castle belongs to the oldest monuments of Lęborka. It was erected in the south-eastern corner of the location city. The castle already existed in 1363 and was the seat of Dytrych von Loupheim, the first Teutonic mayor of Lęborek. The castle was rebuilt several times, which distorted its original appearance. In the southern wall, the outlines of the sharp-washed windows and blend are preserved. Also characteristic elements are the Gothic stairwell peaks and built in 1575 in the northern part of the castle square staircase in the shape of a tower. Today, the castle is the seat of the court.
Museum, ul. Młynarska 14/15, tel. 59 862 24 14, www.muzeum.lebork.pl
The Museum in Lębork is open from Tuesday to Friday from 12:00 to 24:00. from 10.00 to 16.00, Saturdays from 10.00 to 16.00 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sundays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
During the summer season (1.07. – 31.08.), the museum is open from Tuesday to Friday from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. from 10.00 to 18.00, Saturdays from 10.00 to 18.00 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sundays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The museum is closed on Mondays.
The Museum hosts screenings of the film in 3D technology. presenting Lębork over the centuries.
Audio guides in Polish, English, German and Lithuanian languages can be rented free of charge in the museum to help you explore the city (rental rules on the Museum’s website).
Tower No. 27, ul. Bashtowa – exhibition of fading handicrafts, crafts, herbal medicine in Kashubia, exhibitions of local artists
Tower No. 24 at ul. Derdowski – here are presented copies of medieval costumes, weapons, weapons, everyday objects
Tower No. 32 at ul. Korczak – the seat of the Lęborski Knight’s Brotherhood, you can see here a fireplace room, a knight’s chamber with copies of weapons and everyday equipment
Access to tower 24, 27 and 32 (after contact with the Museum) and the presentation of the film is free!
Water tower in Chrobrego Park – object from 1912, after reconstruction and revitalization, houses exhibition halls with museums (archaeology)
Lęborskie Cultural Centre “Frigate”, ul. Gdańska 12-13, tel. 59 862 25 30 and “Culture Station”, ul. Dworcowa 8a, www.lck-fregata.pl
Municipal Public Library, ul. Armii Krajowej 16, tel. 59 862 23 07, www.biblioteka.lebork.pl
Hotel “Vega”, ul. Boh. Monte Cassino 9, tel. 59 863 41 77, 863 41 76, www.hotel-vega.pl
Guest rooms at the Knight’s Inn, al. Freedom 9, tel. 59 862 48 88, www.karczma-rycerska.pl
“Kashubian Inn” Lubowidz – Jamy 2 (above jez. Lubowidz, approx. 4 km from Lęborka on road No. 6, direction Gdynia), tel. 59 861 27 50, 59 863 34 08, www.zajazdkaszubski.tp1.pl
Rooms “Villa Babylon – Astoria”, ul. Pionierów 12 c, tel. 690 921 340, www.willababilon.pl
Motel “Tina” (wooden houses), ul. Kusocińskiego 54 (koło stadionu miejskiego), tel. 59 862 76 25
Center “Pearl”, ul. Kossaka 90, tel. 798 464 894, www.perla.lebork.pl
“Rose”, ul. Wojska Polskiego 48 (park im. M. Michalskiego), tel. 59 863 46 00
“Lewinek”, ul. Targowa 51, tel. 59 841 22 15
Bar – Restaurant “Apis”, ul. Staromiejska 19, tel. 59 862 56 55
“Knight’s Inn”, al. Wolności 9, tel. 59 862 82 00
Restaurant – hotel “Vega”, ul. Boh. Monte Cassino 9, tel. 59 863 41 77, 59 863 41 76
EVENTS – Lęborskie Jakubów Days, International Jacob’s Rally, St. John’s Street Run Jakuba, historical stagings in the area of medieval city walls, National Literary Competition im. Mieczysław Stryjewski
ul. Armii Krajowej 14, tel. 59 862 42 80