The Order of Brothers of the German House Saint Mary In Jerusalem, finally put every effort to take possession on the land of Gniew in 1283, their first possession on the left bank of the Vistula river. Based on the law of Chełmno in 1297 A.D. the city stood next to the Teutonic castle built to the pattern of convent castles. The monumental silhouette along with the church of St. Nicholas is still constitute the characteristic dominant of the southern panorama of Gniew. The Gniew Castle was the most powerful claim of the Teutonic Order on the left bank of the Vistula. Built at the turn of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, it was the home of the Knights commanders, and in the times of Poland, when the town belonged to Poland, it was a mayor’s seat. In the nineteenth century, rebuilt several times (granary, prison), eventually burned in the Great Fire in 1921. In the years 1968-1974, the FAMA Ship Machinery Works in Gniew undertook the first stage of the reconstruction of the castle, completed by laying the ceiling over the top storey, roofing the building and covering the roof with ceramic tiles. Under the public works in 1992, the Council of the Town and Commune of Gniew began the second stage of renovation including the construction of the ceiling in the west and east wings, adaptation of the interior and reconstruction of the chapel as well as adaptation of the Castle Hill to serve tourism purposes. Currnetly the Gniew castle is owned by the corporation of castles „Zamek Gniew”. Fortress also houses: Branch of the Archaeological Museum in Gdansk, Husar’s banner under the auspices of Marshal of Pomeranian Voivodeship, Yellow infantry regiment of Adolfusa Gustawusa II, Schola Cantorum Gymevensis Choir, Hunting Center and the Military History Society of the brotherhood of Gdansk. Since 1992, the castle has been used as a venue for spectacles, historical shows and chivalric tournaments. Today it is recognized as one of the major centers for promoting and maintaining the medieval tradition and heritage in Poland. Throughout the year are organized events,  conferences, conventions, scientific symposia,  banquets,  and historical feasts. In addition, the castle organizes a day or longer stays for organized youth groups from the „live history lesson”, a bonfire and a visit by the Ghost of the Gniew Castle.

egoegoAttractions
Zamek Gniew Sp. z o.o., ul. Zamkowa 3, tel. 58 535 38 80, e-mail: [email protected], www.zamek-gniew.pl

Archeological Museum in Gdańsk – Branch in Gniew, ul. Zamkowa 2, tel. 58 535 35 29 (open daily except Mondays, from 9.00 to 17.00, after the summer season on request by phone)

Culture
District and Municipal Public Library im. Ks. Fabian Wierzchowski, plac Grunwaldzki 16/17, tel. 58 535 25 62 i.e. 21, email: [email protected]

ACCOMMODATION
„Zamek Gniew”, Gniew, ul. Zamkowa 3, tel. 58 535 38 80, 666 010 394,
e-mail: [email protected], www.zamek-gniew.pl
Hotel “Na Wzgórzu”, Gniew, ul. Krasickiego 10, tel./fax 58 535 24 45, www.hotel-nawzgorzu.pl
“Pod Abażurem” Nicponia 6, www.podabazurem.pl
Inn “Gniewko”, Rakowiec 108, tel. 58 535 15 27, www.gniewko.com.pl
Brzozowy Park, Tymawa 25a, tel. 501 580 190, www.brzozowypark.pl
Jeleń Resort & SPA, Jeleń 66 D, tel. 605 684 731, 782 173 916, www.jelenresortspa.com/strona-glowna/
Farm Agrotourism Zielony Domek, Pólko, Opalenie, tel. 58 535 18 77, 668 134 462
Agrotourism Farm “U Adama”, Opalenie, Ogrodowa 1, tel. 604 554 208
Agrotourism Farm Maciejówka, Opalenie, ul. Józefa Czyżewskiego 29, tel. 58 535 18 11, 502 760 852,
603 702 442, www.maciejowka.net 
Agrotourism Zielona Dolina, Opalenie, ul. ks. Ludwika Warneckiego 9, tel. 668 669 779
Guest rooms E. Dunajska, Gniew, ul. Górny Podmur 3, tel. 58 535 35 55
Guest rooms M. Bolek, Gniew, ul. Czyżewskiego 10, tel. 506 180 510, www.noclegi-gniew.pl
Guest rooms J. Milewska, Opalenie, ul. Spacerowa 4, tel. 608 673 013
Agrotourism “U Danusi”, Opalenie, ul. Józefa Czyżewskiego 34, tel. 58 535 19 16, 510 351 157, 609 667 780

Gastronomy
Restaurant in the Hotel of Gniew Castle, ul. 3, www.zamek-gniew.pl
Restaurant-Bar Zamkowa, ul. 27 Stycznia 7, tel. 669 974 349
Restaurant Na wzgórzu, ul. Krasickiego 10, tel. 58 535 24 45, www.hotel-nawzgorzu.pl
Restaurant Pod Abażurem, Gniew, Nicponia 6, tel. 58 535 35 00, www.podabazurem.pl
Gniewko Inn, Rakowiec 108, tel. 58 535 15 27, www.gniewko.com.pl
Brzozowy Park, Tymawa 25a, tel. 501 580 190, www.brzozowypark.pl
Bar Konkurent, Pieniążkowo (parking by the lake), tel. 731 692 191
Pizzeria, Cafe, Pub CK, Gniew, ul.  27 Stycznia 2a, tel. 58 535 25 74, 796 633 885, www.smakick.com.pl
Bar Piekielny Ruszt, ul. Kopernika 5, tel. 728 947 185
Ali Kebab, Gniew, ul. Piłsudskiego 10, tel. 601 747 239

EVENTS – King John III’s Knight’s Tournament, Vivat Vasa! – Battle of two Vases 1626, Mayo with history, Royal dances

information: www.zamek-gniew.pl

City and Municipality Office
pl. Grunwaldzki 1, tel. 58 535 22 55
www.gniew.pl