The castle in Sztum was built during 1326-1331 which safeguarded the Malbork (Marienburg) fortress from the south. Its other function was to give residence to the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order. The Sztum castle remained in the hands of Teutonic Knights until 1468, when by the power of the Torun Treaty the town was incorporated into the Royal Prussia and for the many years to follow the edifice was a seat of high-ranking Polish military and administrative officials. At the west side of the castle, enclosed in a ring of fortified walls, a town began to develop. Fifty plots were laid out. The town was governed by a council, chaired by the mayor. Twice during a year on the (22nd., of June and 11th., of November) a large fair was being held, with a tiny market which used to be open on each Friday. The burghers busied themselves farming fields and brewing beer. It was in Sztum where the District Court for the Malbork province was seated. From the 16th., of century the town also held sessions of the gentry’s local parliament. Today, Sztum is a town located on the isthmus between Lake Barlewickie and Lake Zajezierskie (which in the past were joined and created one water reservoir known as Lake Białe). Of the castle’s medieval construction, following its partial demolition in the 19th., of century, the main south wing, part of the east wing, the gatehouse, the well and part of two towers and fortified walls have luckily remained. These days, the Sztum Knights’ Brotherhood evokes the wealth of the town’s history. Such events as chivalric tournaments, plein-air painting workshops and the Days of the Sztum Land take place at the castle. Sztum lies amid natural forests, abundant in wild game and rich vegetation. The town’s environs contain 4 nature reserves with exciting specimens of flora and fauna. With its lake district landscape and location in the valley of the Vistula, the commune of Sztum is an attractive destination for holiday makers.